Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Free 2d Sidescrolling MMORPG Games Like Maplestory

I have a cleric character in the Bellocan server in Maplestory. It's an old char that I created when Bellocan was released. Sadly, it is not lukless so yeah, I can't hit hard or anything. Still, I greatly enjoy playing MS casually.


At the time that I played, a few years ago, MS was quite unique and there was nothing else like it at all and certainly not for free. Of course, since the  success of MS there have been quite a few MMORPG games like Maplestory but free to play that have been released.

What's the appeal of Maplestory anyway? For me it is thse 7 things:
  1. It's free to download and play.
  2. You can run the game smoothly even on older computers.
  3. The graphics style is very cute and colorful.
  4. It's somewhat kid-friendly in that there is no gore or excessively violent combat animations. This is good if the kids are watching you play!
  5. There are many classes that I like to play.
  6. The item/cash shop is generally used just for vanity items like clothes. I never had to buy anything to continue playing as much as I liked.
  7. It has that great old school feel of a platform game.
Maplestory is so cartoony and fun, it makes me feel happy when I play it. There has also been an update to the game this month with the release of the Global MapleStory exclusive "Capture the Flag" mode. This is a new PvP minigame type where three to six players in two teams have to fight to capture their opponents' flag. The first team to do capture the flag three times wins.

As usual there will be lots of nice item drops during the game like speed ups, power ups, HP recoveries, etc. to make it more fun.

I'm not sure that it's good exp but it sounds like fun. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment